Monday

Norwegian Sweaters


My grandmother Dagmar was very talented at knitting and crochet. I still own an afghan than she made for us shortly after we married. Not a dropped stitch. My granddaughters also play with a dolly afghan that their great great grandmother made for my daughter when she was their age. Grandma's true passion however was knitting. Anytime she sat down those needles would be clicking furiously. She could be watching television or talking but she never slowed her pace, never missed her always even stitches. Her item of choice was the traditional Norwegian Sweater. You know the type, they sell them at the Norway Pavilion at Disney World (for an unbelievable sum of money).  All the older gals can be seen wearing one at the "Sons of Norway Lodge" or Syttende Mai (May 17th, Norwegian Constitution Day) festivities in some of the Midwestern States where their Norwegian immigrant ancestors found their new homes as Americans. Grandma's works were traditionally designed, perfectly executed and truly more beautiful than any store-bought version today. In fact, after making sure each of her family had a current version she knit sweaters which were sold at Marshall Field ( a now defunct high-end Chicago department store). She did all the traditional Scandinavian designs, snowflakes, reindeer, etc., in many colors but mainly the traditional red, white, blue and black combinations. I am ashamed to say now that I HATED THOSE SWEATERS.  We each periodically got a new sweater when we outgrew the old and wore them as you would wear a light jacket. Spring and fall we wore our Norwegian Sweaters. Look at the photos below. My mother is wearing hers at the beach. AT THE BEACH! What is that all about? 


Me, my brother, my sister and Mom, in sweaters made with love by Grandma.

I hated those sweaters and to my young eyes felt it made me look like a foreigner. Back in the day parents did not drive their kids the three or four blocks to school, or even accompany them for that matter. When I was in the third and fourth grade I would now and again, after leaving home, take off my sweater and stuff it under a  bush at the Grossinger's house, down the block. On the way home I would dig it out and put it back on. I don't believe Mrs. Grossinger ever told on me either, although she surely noticed. Better to be cold than have the world think you were "off the boat".

When I visited my grandmother, in my thirties, she insisted on teaching me the skill of the Norwegian sweater. I did have a bit more appreciation for them but mainly I wanted to please the grandma I loved. Although I fumbled through (she fixed my too tight stitches and errors) and produced sweaters for my two kids, if I was honest I have to say they were not near the quality of Grandma's and I just found no pleasure in the process. It doesn't help that to this day my now grown kids laugh at those sweaters and the photo I had taken of them in those sweaters to send home to grandma.


Don't care what THEY say, I think they look cute

I am turning 65 this month. I can't deny any longer that I am a sentimental senior just like the old gals at the "Sons of Norway" lodge. I long for one of her sweaters now, itching my neck and warming these old bones. This summer my hubby and I are taking a couple of our grandkids to Disney World so I guess I could pick up one at the Norway pavilion at Epcot Center. I have also seen them online and I could afford it if I really wanted to. But I don't.

It wouldn't have been made by Grandma.