Monday

Fun in Chicago


When I was a kid, living in Chicago, my parents would take my sister and me to various fun activities. We went to Riverview, a fun old time amusement park that closed unexpectedly when I was about 8. We went to the museums and I don't know how much it cost to get in but I bet it was way cheaper than the entrance fees today. The Field museum scared me, all these stuffed animals in glass cases. The Shedd Aquarium was okay but how many fish can you look at? And Dad agreed with me. It was right on the lake though and sitting outside eating a peanut butter sandwich sitting in Daddy's lap was the best. The museum of Science and Industry was my favorite. You could see baby chicks hatching, fetuses in bottles of formaldehyde, a giant heart you could walk through, and the coal mine. Big fun for a kid. One year my sister who had run up the stairs to the second floor ahead of us turned and yelled “look Mom”. She stuck out her tongue, put it on the brass railing and ran back down the stairs. My Mom nearly had a heart attack. She couldn't have been more than 5 and most likely wouldn't remember it but let me tell you it was the highlight of that visit for me!

The best activities were those that really didn't cost much of anything except maybe a little gas in the car. Activities that maybe don't sound like much now but boy we sure enjoyed it. Taking the toboggan over to the Jensen slides after a snowstorm. Going to Buckingham fountain to see the lights come on or checking out the window displays at Fields at Christmas time. We also would drive down to the beach, along with my parents friends and their kids, spend the day swimming, picnicking, laughing. My Dad seemed to have a fun way of looking at the world and a silly sense of humor. On a hot summer night he would head for O'Hare airport and pull over and park on a street real close. We laid on the front hood or top of the car to watch the planes flying in. We would scream as they came closer and flew right over us. It seemed like inches away to a little kid like me. You can't do that anymore because of terrorism. I don't think you can even get anywhere near the flight paths.

About the time we moved to the suburbs it changed. I have talked with my younger brother about our childhoods and it seems his and mine were different, very different. He doesn't remember Chicago. By the time we moved to the suburbs the dynamics of the family, and therefore of my Dad, changed. He was crabbier, serious, worked a lot, worried about money, worried about health. I think I now know why, in spite of the inevitable teenage fights, my Dad and I always got along. I remembered. I remembered when Dad was young, healthy, happy, silly and carefree. And he knew that of all us kids, I, the oldest, was maybe the only one that remembered. Remembered who he was. I remembered Chicago.
with Dad, first day of spring, Montrose Beach