Monday

Grace was "Pa's Girl"



This photo was given to me by a second cousin in Norway. A photo of my mother Grace and my grandfather Paul in Chicago. I am guessing my mom to be about 10 or 12 which would date this photo to the late 1930's, during the "Great Depression".  I know my grandparents struggled economically during those years as did most Americans. This photo shows my grandfather as who he was and his relationship with his only daughter, my mother Grace. Often he was without work during those years and he was a machinist by trade yet he dressed impeccably. That trademark hat was always on his head. A full suit with tie and vest and although it wouldn't show in this pic I can bet the farm that he had sock suspenders and cufflinks on! A classy guy. And he loved, adored and was closest to his daughter, my mom Grace. My grandfather always had my mom by his side. He made sure she had all that she needed. I think my grandmother was a bit jealous of their closeness. 

my grandfather
Paul Skoglund Sevald
b. 24 Aug 1894 Kragerø, Telemark, Norway
d. 5 Sep 1971 Chicago, Cook, Illinois

my mother
Grace Gunhild Sevald
b. 4 Mar 1927 Chicago, Cook, Illinois
d. 21 Apr 1975 Park Ridge, Cook, Illinois