Thursday

A peek at great great grandfather Gunder Andreas

A second cousin of mine in Norway recently sent me this photo that he had recently acquired from another cousin in Norway. It features his grandmother, Nilia Gundersen, her husband, children and grandchildren with her father, Gunder Andreas Nilsen Øvald . Gunder Andreas is my great great grandfather, my maternal grandmothers paternal grandfather.


 Looking at the documentation of his life, I believe his life was a difficult one as were many of those living and trying to raise a family in the late 19th century Norway. As the oldest son he inherited the right to farm the family farm Øvald, which at this point was actually the property of the Norwegian church, which was the case with most farms in Southern Norway. A younger brother, without much future in sight, headed off to America, to find his "fortune" there. Gunder Andreas lost two of his children in their childhood, a tragedy that we fortunately seldom encounter now thanks to the advent of childhood immunizations. His wife, Marthe Marie, died from childbirth infection. Three of his children followed their uncle and headed off to America where they soon found mates and new lives as Americans. Another three grandchildren did the same. There are a few other siblings, children and grandchildren that I have not yet been able to account for. My suspicion is that I will one day also find them living American lives. Gunder Andreas had to leave the family farm when the church sold the now lucrative property and Gunder Andreas died a poor man.

It all sounds so sad to me but I hope Gunder Andreas did not feel or view his life in a negative way. He lived long (87 years) and still had much of his family around him. Perhaps, and I do hope, he felt his life to be blessed.

Not the clearest of pictures but a welcome find non-the-less. The white-bearded man in the rear of the cart, surrounded by family is my X2 great grandfather;


my great great grandfather
Gunder Andreas Nilsen Øvald
b. 11 Apr 1843 Eidanger, Telemark, Norway
d. 24 Aug 1930 Eidanger, Telemark, Norway