Monday

Paul and Dagmar Sevald -Norway1937

My grandparents, Paul and Dagmar Sevald. On a visit to Norway they sit relaxing outside a family members home? This photo is very typical of them.



My grandfather, always dressed in the finest. Unless he was fishing or building/working on something he always wore a suit. Single or double breasted with a vest, tie and long sleeved white shirt. The tie always neatly done, never haphazard. I know he also wore those old timey green elastic shirt armbands. I think I can almost see them in this photo. What I can't see, but I guarantee you are there, are sock suspenders. God forbid his socks should fall down! The only hint in his dress, that shows he is relaxing, is that he took off his jacket and hat!

Grandma, of course, has her knitting with her. She always was busy doing something. Older ladies back in the day always wore a dress. I never saw her in anything but a dress but she was never a fancy gal, generally a flowery cotton dress of the variety she wears in this photo. Every day? Throw an apron on. Going out to shop or to church? Add a hat and of course a pair of white gloves.

They sit right next to each other because Grandma and Grandpa always did. He would reach across and give her a little pat on the leg. She would shake her head, smile and say "Oh Pa", pretending to be irritated by his little public show of affection. But she wasn't.

My Maternal Grandparents
Paul Skoglund Sevald
b. 25 Aug 1894 Kragerø, Telemark, Norway
  d. 5 Sep 1971 Chicago, Cook, Illinois USA   

Dagmar Gundersen Sevald
b. 10 Jun 1900 Eidanger, Telemark, Norway
d. 12 Jun 1991 Skien, Telemark, Norway