Wednesday

December 7 1941 - Pearl Harbor Day

75 years ago today the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and the US entered World War II. Quite a few young men in our family, the sons of immigrants, found themselves called to defend our country. I believe that for my immigrant family the bombing of Pearl Harbor may have been the truly defining moment. We were now above all and forever after, Americans.Very few veterans of that war are still with us. The WWII veterans of our family are also all gone.  In their honor tell their story to your children and grandchildren today.

Here is the story of my favorite uncle, my mother's brother Arnold Calvin Sevald. 

My Norwegian grandfather Paul Sevald stepped off the boat unto Ellis Island August 1, 1923. August 16, 1923, he filed his intent to become a United States citizen. When his son was born two years later he named him after the current president, the 30th, Calvin Coolidge. When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on Dec 7 1941, Arnold immediately joined the Navy. A parent had to sign for him. Knowing his father would not and his mother's English was poor he tricked her into signing. He had just turned 16 in September of that same year. He served as a sonar detector on the U.S.S. Tinsman. Most importantly to me.........he came home.

my maternal uncle
Arnold Calvin Sevald
b: 18 Sep 1925 Chicago, Illinois USA
d: 26 Nov 1983 Dallas, Texas, USA


 
Breathes there the man, with soul so dead, who never to himself hath said, 
This is my own, my native land!  - Sir Walter Scott 1771-1832