Thursday

Karl Gustav "Charles" Andersen - my 3rd great uncle


My grandmother Dagmar, I remember as a very outgoing, friendly person. She always had friends from near and far visiting her or she was going to church group meetings or parties at the homes of friends. I find it so funny how as I get deeper and deeper into this hobby of genealogy I find more and more of her family in the U.S. Right in Chicago, no less! Family I don't ever recall hearing about. Did she not know they were here? Then again I have cousins that live not far from me who I see rarely and I am sure my grandchildren have no clue who they would be.

Karl Gustav Andersen, the son of Anders Olsen Herregaardstranden and Maren Kirstine Andersdatter was born in Eidanger, Telemark Norway 25 Feb 1860. His oldest sister, Marthe Marie, was to be my great great grandmother. He returned to Norway for a visit in 1920. According to his passport application (below) he immigrated to the U.S. in October of 1884 and became a naturalized American 16 Feb 1891. Karl Gustav adopted the name "Charles". He never married, working as a sailor, his home port: Chicago, Illinois on Lake Michigan.






***click on documents to enlarge for easier viewing***