Thursday

Paul Skoglund Sevald

On this day, August 25, in 1894 my grandfather Paul Skoglund Sevald was born in Kragerø, Telemark, Norway. I have not yet been able to find an official birth record for him but perhaps I never will and I am not surprised. Birth, marriage, in fact all vital records were mandated by the Norwegian government to be recorded and handled through the Norwegian State Church. Paul's father was a dissenter, a Seventh Day Adventist, who after his conversion made a point to officially record the repudiation of his baptism in the State church. He may very well never have reported the birth of his oldest child to the church. Paul's relationship with his father is unknown (to me anyway) but it may have been strained as I never heard him even mention his father. Paul, though was a good father according to my mother and uncle and for sure I can tell you he was a good and loving grandfather.



my grandfather
Paul Skoglund Sevald
born: 25 Aug 1894 in Kragerø, Telemark, Norway
died: 5 Sep 1971 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois, USA 


**click on photos to enlarge for easier viewing**