Saturday

Great Great Grandfather - Ole Helleksen

I have had my family tree on Ancestry.com for more than 10 years. Long before everyone and his brother, lured by the shakey leaf commercials, jumped on the genealogy bandwagon. In a lot of ways..great! Today when I mention my hobby is family history I seldom (or less often anyway), get those strange whaaaaaaaat? looks. Ancestry does give access to lots and lots of records plus I have made some great family connections. I am a little peeved though by the marketing techniques that have so many hopping on to Ancestry for just the free initial two weeks and making a tree by glomming (is that a word even?) on to just about every similiar and not so similar name they see. They build an unsubstantiated, bogus tree and leave. The abandoned tree lasts forever online misguiding the next newbie. Ancestry is not the only game out there anymore. A second cousin who lives in Norway has his tree on My Heritage. I gave it a look and I think when my Ancestry subscription is up I will take a break from there and try out My Heritage. There seems to be a heavy European involvement. I began a free tree and immediately scored! A photo of my great great grandfather Ole Helleksen 1842-1904, Faded and grainy for sure but a fun find none the less.

My great great Grandfather
Ole Helleksen
b. 12 Feb 1842 Indlæggen, Bø, Telemark, Norway
d. 21 Oct 1904 Eidanger, Telemark, Norway