Sunday

Grandma's china

My grandmother, Dagmar Gundersen Sevald, was born in a small hamlet, Eidanger. Eidanger is no more but was incorporated into the larger town of Porsgrund, Telemark, Norway. In Porsgrund there is a porcelain factory famous throughout Norway. They have produced fine porcelain since 1885. My grandmother Dagmar had a set called "Farmers Rose" patterned after the rosemaling of Telemark.

I remember as a little girl dropping the sugar bowl and its handle broke off. I was so upset and worried because I knew my grandmother, who was a hardworking, not a wealthy woman, prized her dishes so. The sugar bowl held cubes of sugar which she picked out of the bowl one by one with a dainty silver clip-like utensil. "Don't cry, you are more important to me than that silly sugar bowl." I inherited the china from Grandma and it sat in my china cabinet for some time. I treasured it because it had been Grandma's but the pattern did not particularly appeal to me and I had no use for the colorful dainty cups and saucers. My friends did not come over for "coffee klatches" sitting around the front room coffee table eating pastries and drinking black coffee as my mother and her friends had. We were more the standing in the kitchen with a bottle of pepsi and pizza type of folk.

Not long after she married I saw my daughter looking at the china with an admiring glance. She thought it was pretty. I called a Scandinavian import shop and found that "Farmers Rose" was still being produced. They now made a large dinner plate also. I bought dinner plates to complete the set, replaced the broken sugar bowl with one found on Ebay and gave it to Dagmar's great grand daughter, my daughter.  I like to think it would make Grandma happy if she could see her Norwegian china laid out on the Christmas table in front of her Norwegian, Swedish, German, Mexican, Polish, Irish,  Bohemian.................American descendants.




Mange takk, bestemor.