Thursday

Fårikålens Festdag (Fårikål Feast Day)

Fårikål has been Norway's national dish since 1972, and Fårikålens Festdag (Fårikål Feast Day) takes place on the fourth Thursday in September which this year, 2021, is September 23. The name means "lamb in cabbage" and first recipes date back to the 17th century. 

I always thought that there is a reason you never see Norwegian restaurants the way you see Italian or Chinese. Herring in everything? Lutefisk? Ah, nope. Or perhaps to blame were my Norwegian grandmother and mother. Wonderful people but, well let's say not blessed with culinary skills. I never recall them making Fårikål and I wish they had. I made this last night and it was wonderful! Better yet, even those lacking in cooking skills CAN"T POSSIBLY get this wrong. The main ingredient, lamb, although a staple in Norway, isn't much in demand and just doesn't come cheap in the Chicago area and that is perhaps the reason Mom never made this.



I made this last night on a test run. My husband was going out and if it was a bust I didn't want him to brag about the merits and superiority of German cooking (he is German born and his mother was a fantastically wonderful cook). I was pleased to find Fårikål so simple, sooooooooo good! Admittedly the look is rather blah so spruce it up with some potatoes and colorful carrots or beans on the side. But, I honestly can't wait to scarf this up again tonight.