Monday

Grandma could be a firecracker




not a very flattering picture of Grandma is this?


In this blog I have often spoke of my love for my grandmother Dagmar and what  a wonderful person I believed her to be. My most favorite ancestor and the one I feel understood me the most. Perhaps because I think we had very similar personalities. In fact, she was the one who started me on this journey of family history and I have dedicated all my years of family research to her (see "dedicated to Dagmar" tab above). But as much as I loved her and speak volumes of good things about her I am quite aware that we are all complex human beings. Sometimes Grandma could be a real spitfire!  She was kind, generous and loving. It was hard to get her mad. But nonetheless DON'T GO THERE. She was a long long fuse but with a big charge at the end. In her defense, if she got that angry it was usually justified. And sort of comical to see also, which made her all the more mad. She especially did not like to be tricked and my Dad loved to play practical jokes on her.
I don't remember the particular incident but in this photo she was most likely reacting to one of my Dad's antics. She would click her teeth and proclaim in her thick Norwegian accent

"ooooo you loussy ting"

She had strong beliefs and opinions and no hesitation in sharing them with you. No beating around the bush with her. My husband of 40 some years, who knows me quite well, often says "just because it goes through your head Ranae, it doesn't have to come out your mouth". My Dad, who I also loved dearly, after a difference of opinion with me would give me what he thought was an insult.
"Ranae, your are just like your Grandma Sevald"


and my response in true Dagmar spitfire form?

"THANK YOU!"

1955 Grandma and Me