Monday

"All girls should know how to sew"



I don't see this at all anymore, nor did I see this much when my kids were young. Perhaps it was a 50-60's thing. Matchy matchy outfits. I guess a sign of a good mother in the 50's was having a line of clean well behaved kids wearing matching outfits preferably handmade by mom. Puhleese. How I hated this. When I was very young and it was just my one sister and myself, my Mom was totally obsessed with this idea. She shopped at a small children's boutique on Irving Park Rd. called Anderson's. My sister and I would get matching dresses or coats. Or, we had matching outfits but in different colors. It made me so mad because my sister, who was cute and blond always got the more colorful item and I, the flaming redhead was doomed to the same outfit in blue or brown. My sister once said; "You hate the outfits? what about me? I get the hand-me-downs so I have to wear the same dorky outfit twice!"  She had a valid point didn't she? 


→ My mother took a long time choosing these matching outfits. We were going to be on a WGN children's TV show called "Here's Geraldine". Some friend of the family worked on that show and got us tickets. Because TV was in black and white Mom searched hi and low for black and white dresses so she would know exactly what we would look like on the TV. The dresses had a little clump of red cherries at the collar and my Mom removed that and replaced them with a Norwegian pin. She didn't want to confuse family members who may see gray cherries. Even then at 7 or 8 years old the logic of that was totally lost on me.


As the family grew, maybe because of the expense, she no longer shopped at the children's boutique but began to make the matching outfits. Get a load of these matching blouses and jumpers and my poor brother in a matching vest. Makes you wish for the days of black and white again doesn't it?


 Being traditional and practical also, Mom thought all girls should learn how to sew. Sewing was also taught in the  public school. All the girls from 5th grade on were required to take "Home Economics" and all the boys were required to take shop or "Industrial Arts" as they liked to call it. Aside from the obvious sexist implication, I think it was a good idea, although it wouldn't have killed me to learn how to use a screwdriver also. The sisters didn't get into it but I really enjoyed it and made lots of my clothes as I was growing up. I even made the bridesmaids' dresses for my wedding. I made a few dresses for my daughter but more and more children's clothes were made in China with cheap labor so soon there was really no point to sew children's clothes. For years my sewing machine sat idle, only being used for the occasional alteration, repair or Halloween costume.

Just a few years ago one of my sisters in law mentioned that she really loved quilts. After I checked out the prices, whoaa,  I thought I could make her one and a new hobby was born with some old, not forgotten, skills. My husband also uses the sewing machine for repairing his boat or smoker/ grill covers etc. The guy who aced Industrial Arts as a kid needed some basic lessons in the art of the sewing machine. I guess I sometimes forget that the sexist attitudes of the past hurt not only young girls but young boys also. Mom was half right. Everyone should know how to sew.






***the quilts I have made so far are displayed on my Pinterest board HERE***